Straw sandy Island and its lighthouse are located at the eastern entrance to Killeany Bay. The first Inishmore lighthouse was established in 1818 but unfortunately it was positioned too high (near
Dun Eochla), over 400 feet (122m) above sea level, and more often than not was shrouded in cloud or mist. Also it did not cover the North and South entrances to Galway Bay. Inishmore was replaced in 1857 by lights on Eeragh and Inisheer. The original harbour light at Straw Island was established on 1 September 1878 |
|
L'île de sable de Straw et son phare sont situés à l'entrée est de la baie de Killeany.
Le premier phare d'Aran fut établi en 1818
près de Dun Eochla mais
sa position trop haute à 400 m d'altitude le rendait inefficace les jours de faible visibilité. Par ailleurs, ce phare ne couvrait pas les approches nord et sud de la baie de Galway. Il fut donc remplacé en 1857 par de nouveaux phares sur les îles d'Eeragh et Inisheer. Le premier phare de l'accès à la baie de Killeany fut construit sur l'île de Straw le 1er septembre 1878. |
|