home

Hook Head - Co. Wexford - Ireland

The tower of Hook is the oldest lighthouse in Ireland and Great Britain. The massive circular medieval tower is surrounded by an early nineteenth century lighthouse. The tower was built as a landmark and light tower early in the thirteenth century by William Marshal, to guide his ships into the eastuary and to his new port of Ross.
La tour de Hook est le plus vieux phare d'Irlande et de Grande-Bretagne. L'épaisse tour circulaire médiévale est surmontée d'un phare du début du XIXe siècle. La tour a été construite pour servir de repère au début du XIIIe siècle par Guillaume le Maréchal afin de guider ses navires dans l'estuaire vers le port de Ross.

Wicklow Head Lighthouse

Hook Lighthouse is a unique example of an almost intact medieval lighthouse. It dates from the early 13th century and was a major feat at the time of its construction. It has serves sailors and shipping for 800 years. It is thought to be one of the oldest operational lighthouses in the world.
Le phare de Hook est un exemple unique de phare médiéval encore en état. Bâti au 13ème siècle, sa construction fut un véritable exploit pour l'époque. Le phare a guidé les navires pendant près de 800 ans et est considéré comme l'un des plus vieux phares en service au monde.
hookheadlighhousepano1 hookheadlighhousepano2 hookheadlighhousepano3
llighhousepano1 lighhousepano2 lighhousepano3
hookheadlighhousefromriver hookheadlighhouse01 hookheadlighhouse02 hookheadlighhouse03 hookheadlighhouse04 hookheadlighhouse05 hookheadlighhouse06 hookheadlighhouse07 hookheadlighhouse08 hookheadlighhouse09
romriver lighhouse01 lighhouse02 lighhouse03 lighhouse04 lighhouse05 lighhouse06 lighhouse07 lighhouse08 lighhouse09
hookheadlighhouse10 hookheadlighhouse11 hookheadlighhouse12 hookheadlighhouse13 hookheadlighhouse14 hookheadlighhouse15 hookheadlighhouse16 hookheadlighhouse17 hookheadlighhouse18
lighhouse10 lighhouse11 lighhouse12 lighhouse13 lighhouse14 lighhouse15 lighhouse16 lighhouse17 lighhouse18
hookheadlighhouse19 hookheadlighhouse20 hookheadlighhouse21 hookheadlighhouse22 hookheadlighhouse23 hookheadlighhouse24 hookheadlighhouse25 hookheadlighhouse26 hookheadlighhouse27
lighhouse19 lighhouse20 lighhouse21 lighhouse22 lighhouse23 lighhouse24 lighhouse25 lighhouse26 lighhouse27
hookheadlighhouse28 hookheadlighhouse29 hookheadlighhouse30 hookheadlighhouse31 hookheadlighhouse32 hookheadlighhouse33 hookheadlighhouse34 hookheadlighhouse35 hookheadlighhouse36
lighhouse28 lighhouse29 lighhouse30 lighhouse31 lighhouse32 lighhouse33 lighhouse34 lighhouse35 lighhouse36
hookheadlighhouse37 hookheadlighhouse38 hookheadlighhouse39 hookheadlighhouse40 hookheadlighhouse41 hookheadlighhouse42 hookheadlighhouse43 hookheadlighhouse44 hookheadlighhouse45 hookheadlighhouse46
lighhouse37 lighhouse38 lighhouse39 lighhouse40 lighhouse41 lighhouse42 lighhouse43 lighhouse44 lighhouse45 lighhouse46
hookheadlighhousechain   hookheadlighhousein1 hookheadlighhousein2 hookheadlighhousein3 hookheadlighhousein4 hookheadlighhousetop1 hookheadlighhousetop2 hookheadlighhousetop3 hookheadlighhousepaint
chain f inside1 inside2 inside3 inside4 top1 top2 from the top paint

Wicklow Head Coast

The Hook Head bedrock consists of two types of sedimentary rock : old red sandstone and limestone. A band of old red sandstone runs across the peninsula from Broomhill to Carnivan. The point of Hook itself consists of fossil-bearing carboniferous limestone. Because of the rivers Barrow, Nore and Suir which flow into the estuary it was known in Irish as Comar na dtrí nUisce (the confluence of three waters). The Vikings called it Vadra Fiord (the weather estuary) which was the origin of the name Waterford.
La Pointe de Hook est composée de roches sédimentaires : du vieux grès rouge et du calcaire. Une bande de vieux grès rouge traverse la péninsule de Broomhill jusqu’à Carnivan. La pointe de Hook est elle-même faite de calcaire carbonifère et fossilifère. Avec les rivières Barrow, Nore et Suir qui se jettent dans l’estuaire, l’endroit était connu en irlandais sous le nom de « Comar na dtrí nUisce » (le confluent des trois rivières). Les Vikings l’appelaient « Vadra Fiord » (l’estuaire du temps), qui est à l’origine du nom de Waterford.
hookheadcoast01 hookheadcoast02 hookheadcoast03 hookheadcoast04 hookheadcoast05 hookheadcoast06 hookheadcoast07 hookheadcoast08
hookheadcoast01 hookheadcoast02 hookheadcoast03 hookheadcoast04 hookheadcoast05 hookheadcoast06 hookheadcoast07 hookheadcoast08
hookheadcoast09 hookheadcoast10 hookheadcoast11 hookheadcoast12 hookheadcoast13 hookheadcoast14 hookheadcoast15 hookheadcoast16 hookheadcoast17
hookheadcoast09 hookheadcoast10 hookheadcoast11 hookheadcoast12 hookheadcoast13 hookheadcoast14 hookheadcoast15 hookheadcoast16 hookheadcoast17

St Dubhan's Church

St Dubhan, who came to Hook Point from Wales in 452 A.D and established a monastery on this site, is believed to have lit the first warning beacon for ships on the point shortly after his arrival. This beacon had been maintained by the monks for 700 years until the current lighthouse was built.
St Dubhan serait venu du pays de Galles en 452 après JC pour établir un monastère. Peu après son arrivée, il aurait allumé un signal lumineux sur la pointe pour aider les navires. Ce signal aurait ensuite été maintenu par les moines pendant 700 ans jusqu'à ce que 'actuel phare ait été construit.
hookhead_stdubhanschurch
stdubhanschurch

Temple Town Church

Templetown Church is a Knights Hospitallers fortified church near Fethard-on-Sea,The Knights Templars were granted land in 1172 by Henry II of England , hence the name Templetown. The church was built by the Knights Hospalliters in the early 1300s when they took over the lands from the Templars.
L'église de Templetown est une église fortifiée de l'ordre des Hospitallers, près de Fethard-on-Sea.Promises par Henri II d'Angleterre, les Templiers avaient obtenu ces terres en 1172, d'où le nom de Templetown. L'église aurait été construite par les Chevaliers Hospitallers dans les années 1300 lorsqu'ils reprirent les terres aux Templiers.
templetownchurch1 templetownchurch2 templetownchurch3 templetownchurch4 templetownchurch5 templetownchurch6
templetownchurch1 templetownchurch2 templetownchurch3 templetownchurch4 templetownchurch5 templetownchurch6

Arthurstown - Colmán

Arthurstown (Irish: Colmán) is a small village in the townland of Coleman in southwest County Wexford. It is located on the eastern shore of the Waterford Harbour estuary, where the three sisters flow into the sea (Rivers Suir, Barrow & Campile).
Arthurstown (Colmán en irlandais) est un petit village proche de Coleman au sud-ouest du comté de Wexford sur la rive est de l'estuaire de Waterford, à l'embouchure des "trois soeurs" (Rivières Suir à l'ouest, Barrow au nord et Nore à l'est).
arthurstownbay arthurstownvillage
arthurstownbay arthurstown

Ballyhack Ferry

Ballyhack (Irish: Baile Each) is a small village located in the south-west of County Wexford, in Ireland, on the eastern shore of the Waterford Harbour. A Ferry service operates between Ballyhack and Passage East (County Waterford).
Ballyhack (Baile Each en irlandais) est un petit village situé dans le sud-ouest du comté de Wexford, sur la rive est de l'estuaire de Waterford. Un service de ferry permet de franchir l'estuaire entre Ballyhack et Passage East (comté de Waterford).
ballyhack1 ballyhack2 ballyhack3 ballyhackferry1 ballyhackferry2 ballyhackferry3 ballyhackpier passageeast1 passageeast2
ballyhack1 ballyhack2 ballyhack3 ballyhackferry1 ballyhackferry2 ballyhackferry3 ballyhackpier passageeast1 passageeast2

© copyright : Mathieu Morverand 

links : www.hookheritage.ie - The Hook Head Lighthouse official website
  www.hooktourism.com - The Hook Peninsula Tourism website